Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sing along...

Do you like musicals Owen?? 

Well I have mixed feeling about them... I love them in Theater but films not so much. Well I loved Chicago on strange but I really hated the film.


 I don't know what it was really, I guess it was too much dancing and singing. And too my of Catherine Zeta-Jones, or that Renee Zellweger was a bit kind of wrong. Or maybe I just liked the theatrical version so much, that I would not accept anything else.


But talking about Rob Marshall works, I do love Memoirs of Geisha (even if I think the ending should have been better since it feels a bit mixed together and kind of rushed), and I did enjoy Nine with all its singing and dancing. Perhaps it's Italian chic and sixties feel made it better. But I don't just love 60's alone I love 20's era too... Why don't I like Chicago? 


Maybe because it was more fun, sexy and with more colour to it. However Chicago is mainly back and white not only for the feel of the 20's but then for the prison and once again, I did not mind this in the musical... Why don't I like it?!
Yet, it is very unlikely that I would see any of these two musicals again... But I do watch Memoirs of Geisha very regularly. 

Last night we watched Rock Of Ages... Oh I thought it was a bit cheesy, but it was very funny and with great tunes! Another thing that impressed me a lot in it it was costumes... I know it might seem weird but think about the costumes in Hairspray how very stiff and costume like they were. Well I guess it was the idea of it being stiff as if glued togther by hairspray... I actually want to have a good rummage throw costume closet of Rock Of Ages and steal lots of them!
The super fun performance by Alec Baldwin, Tom Cruise and Russel Brand made it more fun to watch. 
And the music... Oh music..


I am actually glad that not all musicals can be turned into film, like Shoes... Oh how I loved this! Not for everyone but it was side splitting! 
Yet again I did not think Shrek can be a musical... I was wrong. 
When I have started writing this post I did the search for musical films, I totally forgot about super sad and super beautiful Moulin Rouge with liters and liters of absenth...


I completely forgot about Grease!! Summer loving, Tell me more tell me more.... 


A lot of old classic films are with song and dance, like Meet me in St Louis or Mary Poppins. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm working on it.
But out of the musical films I saw lately have to say the Rock Of Ages is my very favorite at this very moment. Perhaps it is because of Tom Cruise being so very funny when touching everyone's breasts, or maybe it was Catherine Zeta-Jones who was super sexy in leather, or maybe it was just rock and fun with my kind of music. 


Rock of Ages is my favorite musical.
Well you might agree of disagree but musicals are fun! Just as they are...

Written by Daria while thinking what to wear to Download festival

No comments:

Post a Comment