Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sing Along With Owen :D

So do I like musicals? Well I wouldn't say that I am a fan of the traditional musicals and have never seen a live perforamce of any of the 'Classics' or indeed a film adaptation. When I see Les Mis it will be my first experience of it and who knows I may love it.  

But I can say that there are several musical films that I love! Such as....

 They're on a mission from God!

The reason I love Blues Brothers is that it's not a 'Musical' so much as it is an amazing film that happens to have singing in it. The cast being made up of some of the true legends of music with Ray Charles, James Brown and Aretha Franklin who's scene is possibly my favourite scene in the movie. Everyone should experience the story of  Jake and Elwood Blues!

  A mental mind fuck can be nice.

You can't help but love this serreal tribute to the Sci-Fi and B Movie horror films of the 50's and 60's. With Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon spending the night at Tim Currys Dr. Frank-N-Furter castle. Now Frank is a tranvestite who has built his own 'Man' and loves to do the 'Time Warp' whats not to like. Oh and did I mention Meat Loaf is in it!

Then there is the first musical I ever saw and I remember as a young lad watching it again and again. It was a gangster movie but everyone was a kid and they had cream pie guns! what was not to like as a young lad. It was another example of Jodie Fosters talent at a young age and the final singalong scenes at the end is one of my favourite scenes ever. It just looks so fun and can't help but make you smile.I'm talking about...

We could have been anything that we wanted to be

I also love Moulin Rouge it is a visual treat that uses songs that I love to tell its classic tale of love and loss. You have Bowie, The Police, Nirvana and Ewan McGregor's effortless charm and cheeky smile.The whole film is like you are on absenth. Jim Broadbent is quite brilliant in it too.

My last two are both animated and the first one is from Disney but it's not Beauty and the Beast and there are no talking animals in it. It's better than all them because it came from the mind of Tim Burton. It is of cause...
'Twas a long time ago, longer now than it seems in a place perhaps you've seen in your dreams
My final musical is probably as far as you can get from Disney but it's songs are just so catchy and the story of four young boys saving the world is timeless. It is also a film that has a song in it that made my mate Mark and myself cry with laughter. It is a moment I will always remember and upon leaving the cinema that day I was truly happy. The song was 'Uncle Fucker' and the film was South Park Bigger, Longer and Uncut!

EPIC!

So they aren't Singin' In The Rain or The Sound of Music but to me these are the greatest Musicals to be committed to film. 

Written by
Owen while watching Gareth Bale being a legend for Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment