Friday, February 15, 2013

Owen's 13 To Watch In 2013

The start of any year is always dominated here in the UK by the 'Oscars' films. But now that I have seen said films and enjoyed many of them I thought that I should start looking to the year ahead and pick out a few films that could very well make their way to the top of my Favourite Film Today list. 

Some I have put in here due to word of mouth or a knowledge of the source material while others are simply due to the people involved. Most I will be unable to give many details regarding the plot as I try to avoid plot details when possible. Some no doubt will end up letting me down but I do think that at least a few will turn out to be outstanding. So here are my 13 films to watch in 2013...

13. R.I.P.D
Director: 
Starring:  , , , Kevin Bacon
Released: 19 July (US)
 

Ryan Reynold has some ground to make up with comic book fans after the disaster that was Green Lantern! But he appears to not be shying away from it and has two comic book movies in production one is Deadpool and the other is this. Based on a graphic novel published by Dark Horse and written by Peter M. Lenkov. 

Reynolds plays a cop who is killed and joins up with the Rest In Peace Department where he and fellow undead cops Jeff Bridges and Kevin Bacon hunt his killer. It is the cast that really catches my eye here with anything Jeff 'The Dude' Bridges does always being on my radar and I always find Mary-Louise Parker a charming screen presence.  

12. Mama 
Director: 
Starring: ,
Released: 22 Febuary
 

It feels like a while since I saw a horror in the cinema that really worked however this one has several things that make me think that this could be a winner. Firstly it has the Del Toro link which I know is only a 'Presented By' and not as director but still I do trust that if he is willing to put his name to it then he must be confident in it which in turn makes me confident. The main draw perhaps is the cast of Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau who I both rate highly. In particular Chastain who has be outstanding in everything I have seen here in from 'Tree of Life' to 'Zero Dark Thirty' and I am interested to see what she can bring to this role.
 
Chastain plays Annabel who with her boyfriend played by Coster-Waldau, takes care of his two nieces who were left in the forest for 5 years. Of cause nothing is going to go smoothly and soon it would appear that the girls may not have been as alone in the forest as everyone thinks. I hope to get a horror that does not rely on blood and gore but is more in the vein of A Tale of Two Sisters ' where sound (or indeed lack of) and disturbing images are used to produce the horror. As this is the first film on this list to come out I guess I will see soon enough if I get what I want.


11. Trance 
Director:
Released: 27th March

Danny Boyle is one of those directors that I trust. Its that simple. So any news of a new film from him gets my interest and if you then tell me that Cassel is a part of it and I'm pretty much sold. James McAvoy plays an art auctioneer who has become mixed up with a group of criminals and needs to enlist Dawson's hypnotist to help him recover a missing painting. Though I enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire and loved Sunshine I am pleased to see Boyle back doing what appears to be a slick dialog led drama back in the UK.


10. Gravity
Director:
Starring: , ,
Released: 4th October (US)

This is a film that again I know very little about other than the fact that it is by Alfonso Cuaron the director of the brilliant Children of Men and Y Tu Mamá También. In fact 2006's Children of Men was his last major film and so he has kept his fans waiting 7 years so I hope that it will not let us down.

The film follows two astronauts as they attempt to return to earth after debris crashes into their space shuttle, leaving them drifting alone in space. George Clooney plays one of the astronauts which again fills me with confidence that the film will deliver. Clooney has proven himself time and again to be at the top of his game and under Cuarons direction I expect big things.



9. The Great Gatsby
Director:
Released: 17th May
 

If I was to guess who would be directing this adaptation of F Scott Fitzgeralds classic novel I don't think I would have guessed Baz Luhmann but when I think about it works. Luhrmann has always had a wonderful visual style and a great use of costumes and sets to transport you to another world (Fith Element) or time (Moulin Rouge) and so I'm looking forward to him taking me to 1920's New York.

It is a strong cast and with DiCaprio and Mulligan in the leads you know that you are in save hands. The character of Gatsby is not something that I would trust with many actors but DiCaprio is one. It has the potential to be a true cinematic 'event' this summer.


8. The Evil Dead
Director:
Released: 19th April


Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II are a true horror classics with Bruce Campbell's performance as Ash one of the greatest in the genres history. So when I first heard that they were remaking it my first thought was that it just wouldn't work without Campbell. Though it was violent and full of gore and shocks it was the humor that he brought to the role that made it stand out. But then I saw the trailer below and have since actually started looking forward to this. 

Unlike the first horror on this list Mama what I want from this film is blood and gore and if I go by the trailer below I don't think that it will disappoint on that front. This is a film that could let me down but for now I hold out hope.

  
7. The Alan Partridge Movie
Director:
Starring: , ,
Released: 16th August

Alan Partridge has been a hero of mine for many years, his wise words have helped me through many hard times. So when I heard that he was making a movie you can imagine my excitement! It is in the capable hands of Declan Lowney of Father Ted fame and with Coogan writing I can't see how I won't like this.

6. Star Trek Into Darkness
Director:
Released: 17th May

I enjoyed Abrams 2009 reboot of Star Trek but I think that this follow up has something that will set it apart. That is simply Benedict Cumberbatch as the main villain. I'm hoping for a darker film in the vein of Nolan Dark Knight trilogy and think that Pine and Cumberbatch could have a rivalry to match that of Batman and Joker. 

Abrams has proven that he knows what he is doing when it comes to handling blockbusters and if he can take the Star Trek universe and add that dark edge then this could be the blockbuster this summer.


5. Only God Forgives 
Released: 23rd May 


The reason that this is on my list is simple. The last time that Refn and Gosling worked together they gave us Drive and that's enough for me to put this in my top 5. All I know of the plot is this...A Bangkok police lieutenant and a gangster settle their differences in a Thai-boxing match...and that's all I need to know...23rd May I know where I'll be.



4. Kick Ass 2
Director:
Released: 19th July

Whereas with many of the films on this list I know little of the plot that is not the case with Kick-Ass 2 as I have read the graphic novel that it is based on. I am interested to see what from the novel makes it into the film as it does cover some very dark themes. The fact that is not back to direct is a disappointment and a slight concern as I felt that he nailed the feel of the original Kick-Ass. But the cast is all back and I am looking forward to Moretz reprising her role as Hit Girl and intrigued to see what Jim Carrey brings to the role of Captain Stars & Stripes.

I expect more over the top violence mixed with humor and knowing nods to the comic book fans. It is a shame that Mark Strong is not able to be in it as he was superb in the original as he always is. I just hope that Mintz-Plasse can fill the role of the main villian (The Mother F**cker) and then again there is also Mother Russia if he needs help on the bad guy front.
 
3. Anchorman: The Legend Continues 
Director:
Released: 20th December
 

The original Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy is a film that I can watch time and time again and it will still make me laugh. It is just full of brilliant characters. The fact that this will be more of the same characters is why this is in my Top 3 as I have faith that all involved are going to deliver and the fact that it has been 9 years since the original only strengthens my faith. 

They could have rushed out a sequel to capitalise on the originals popularity but instead they waited and all the cast have gone off to become stars in their own right with Paul Rudd being a prime example of this. It feels like they are a group of friends who are getting back together to have some fun, the product of which will be a new film.

I know again that this does have the potential to disappoint me as when you go and see a comedy there is the very real possability that it just won't be funny. But with the people involved and the time between the films give me confidence that this will be a highlight this Xmas.



2. The Worlds End 
Director:
Starring:  , , , Paddy Considine. Eddie Marsan
Released: 14th August


This is the final part in Wright, Pegg & Frosts corneto trilogy with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz the other two parts. Going on these films alone should tell you why I have this at No.2 on my list. I also have complete faith in Edgar Wright with  Spaced and  Scott Pilgrim vs. the World making up the body of his work I can say that I love everything the man has done. I also think that Pegg and Frost do their best work when under his direction. When you add to the mix Freeman, Considine and Marsan I really can't see how this will let me down.

The plot is that the above group of friends are reuniting 20 years after failing an epic pub crawl, determined to finish it. It just so happens that on this crawl they may be needed to save the world. That's all I know and it's also all I need to know. Wright and Pegg have both gone to great lengths to try and shroud the plot in secrecy and I respect that decision as the less I know the more I will enjoy it.


1. Stoker
Director:
Released: 1st March
 

So my most anticipated film for this year is only a few weeks away and it is another that I know very little about the actual plot. The thing that I know which puts it at the top of the list is that it is Chan-Wook Parks first English language film! Anyone who has read my earlier review of the outstanding Oldboy will know why this excites me so much. 

The fact that Wasikowska is the lead only heightens my excitement as I think that she is an incredible talent who is impressing me more every time I see her. The trailer below is all that I have seen and it seems to have the dark edge to it that I expect from a Park film. I actually want to give praise to the trailer itself as it does something that I wish every trailer could do and that's get my attention without giving away the entire plot in the process. I saw it before a film and I immediately wanted to walk out of the film that was I about to watch and go watch Stoker instead. But I must wait till March....2 weeks it's only 2 weeks....is it possible for humans to hibernate!?!



Written by
Owen while waiting for it to be March 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment