Thursday, February 21, 2013

French Cinema.

Growing up in USSR we got to see strange collection of foreign films... Mainly Bollywood and old French comedies... 

So we were all about singing in dancing in Mumbai slums and giggling away on silliness of Louis De Funes. There were a lot of comedies around! 

Then again studying French most of my childhood... We Russians love France, everything French really, music, beauty, however most of the time we are terrible at French cooking, that's one aspect of French culture we don't do very well. Epic fail on the cooking French!

Yes, I do know how Brits feel about French, but I happened to love French things, France, yet I have never been... Did you know that Cinema was actually invented in France? By Lumiere brothers in 1895. It's actually quiet amusing, in a geeky way, the lumier actually means light! 

So naturally I am pro foreign cinema... I love French cinema! It is always so... so... different.

My all time favorite is Amelie. How can one not love Amelie... it is just so sweet and elegant! Tres Chic!


The of course there was La Vie en Rose about the amazing Edith Piaf with Marion Cottoilard as the late singer. It was a truly remarkable film, do not think I cried so much over anything...


Critics also loved La Vie en Rose, Mademoiselle Cottilard won a lot of award for it, including that shiny man called Oscar. 

But French films are not only love and sadness, it is also incredible violence... 
Doberman 



Film that has violence, explosions, sex, drugs... and Vincent Cassel! 
Then there is again one of my favorite Crimson Rivers, Empire of the Wolves after the books of amazing French writer Jean-Christophe Grange, with fabulous Jean Reno. 
Again, they showed a lot of things no one really needed to see on the screen. But unlike, killer inside me, I am willing to re-watch these films again and again.. Must be their French charm.


The ultimate love letter to everything french is in my opinion Paris, Je t'aime
Go watch it... enjoy it. 

I shall go back to dream about my trip to Paris this year

I wish that local cinemas, looking at you Odeon Bath, showed more foreign and indi films... 



Written by Daria while looking for the French Onion soup recipe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment