Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book into a film...never easy

There are many books adaptations into a film some are good, some are not and some  I m just undecided.
Onegin...


Bad..

Anna Karenina...


Strange and undecided...

Confessions of the Shopaholic...


 good

Girl with the dragon tattoo (Swedish film) amazing


The Help


 almost as good as a book but very good cinema
and then there are these things like Twilight... as bad as the books I guess, only saw 2 films.

But then with Mortal Instruments I was excited, I really am enjoying the books. You worry when some one decides to make a book you love into a film. I actually went to see MI twice since I really couldn't make a decision. I guess as much as I did not want to have expectations I had some after all.
It is a good adaptation, got all important points and a massive spoiler.. I'm trying to block it out. But it is not however a wholesome film.
So... 
The story line is very consistent. At first I thought the beginning felt rushed, but know I think it was from Clary's point of view, she learnt a lot about this new strange world of demon hunters and such, so the beginning was fast. I do like that Jocelyn abduction was elaborated on and also spoilers there, but girl put up a fight. You wouldn't expect less from the Shadowhunter.


Visually the film is how I wanted it to be, with a "nod" towards Goth. Sexy, dark and shiny. Yes, in my head it makes sense, watch it and see for your self. 
I also though it would have some cool tunes in... not just music but actual songs and stuff, but it didn't. Somehow at some scenes music was missing and missed. 
It's a complex world and has a lot of characters, in the film some of them seemed a bit flat...
Isabelle, beautiful and stunning,  somehow did not have that annoying but adorable personality. She was just a girl with cat like eyes, not good enough.
Magnus Bane is actually one of my favorite dudes in the book, his party was special, he is flamboyant and such and I though of him as Lafayette Raynolds in True blood series, but he wasn't...
When the "gang" is together all the conversations are had by only Jace and Clary and sometimes Simon is allowed to butt in... Same story with Luke aka Lucian, not enough. 
Rational part of me says that yeah, makes sense really, if they put more into these characters film would have been long....
But then it comes to werewolves, these big bag wolves and their white teeth that could get you decapitated... well they were pu#@%s. Couldn't even kill some demons... 
I realise that I'm being really negative so far but when you love the book ... how can one not be overly critical?!



I really loved that they kept most of the original jokes from the book. It was really good to have giggle when you are not just laughing to your kindle but also with bunch of people. 
There were moments when I got super excited and these are... Aiden Turner appearing on screen, yes, I know I am so very sad, but I think he is one beautiful beautiful man! Lena Headey slamming the frying pan into the intruders with such grace. Alec looking up when Magnus said "he with blue eyes"... Fight scenes in DuMort, so good... Jace looking down on Clary in the moment when they got into the institute for the 1st time.



Do not think I approve of Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Valentine, he looks too young... and he's too dark. When he tells that thing to Clary and then hugs her it was not right somehow, it was sexual if anything. Come on, director, re shoot that!
But I was very pleasantly surprised with the leads. They all were so good. 
Lilly Collins was lovely as Clary. I only saw her as a Snow White in Mirror Mirror and frankly it's not a good film to judge anyone. Where she was all tired and having a meltdown next to very very serious young Shadowhunter Jamie Campbell Bower. Now he is ideal Jace, did not see Alex Pettyer as Jace.



Certain moments of the film seemed rushed and unfinished. I do think it could have done with more musical score at the background, somehow I do not think Magnus' party did not have any music... Important bit of the plot and it did not imprint in me after seeing the film twice.

I wishes they turned Simon into a rat and introduced Raphael, they gonna have to in the next film. Yes, I wish for the next film! I wish there were more of the whole du mort situation and correct werewolf involvement and that demons would been more like in the books. Ms Clare did the great demons.

Unfortunatly interpersonal relationships were not developed fully, I guess it just would not be feasible. 

I will be going to see it again... I am in love! 



Written by Daria while day dreaming about Jamie Campbell Bower


No comments:

Post a Comment